Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Nite




Political Commentary? Test Tiles at the MAC



Sergei Isupov (His work costs more than a REALY nice new car)
Friday Nite.. for a few more minutes..







After we left the hotel.. Cathy P. drove, Jane and I as passengers, went to pick up Nancy and Ron.. we went to the Heard Museum. For a very nice opening reception for Mothers and Daughters Stories in Clay... What a very cool show of contemporary native american art.. when I think of native american art I don't think of what I saw tonite.. I think of very quiet and beautiful forms and surfaces.. rich in tradition. This is what I saw tonite, but with very assertive and bold content and surfaces... Look up this show at http://www.heardeducation.org/mothers/ I will bring a little book to class about it too..




They had great food... and a cash bar.








On to the MAC (Mesa Art Center). The most amazing pieces by Sergei Isupov (look this guy up)!! There were two other clay shows there... I'm not sure where the next show came from.. kind of a quasi-cartoon-vegas show. Very bright and colorful and probably full of content.. that I just didn't get.. It seemed that it might be familiar to me if I was a kid. Then the instructors and people that have been involved with the center over the years had a show too. Farraday Newsome was there, as was her husband. We got to walk through the clay studio there... what a great place. I have been there before, but everyone else had not.. and they loved it!! Wish we had one like it in Tucson.
They had great DESSERT and a cash bar.







Then back to the hotel for the dance... I never took a real shower or changed my clothes today... I realize that most everyone else did the same.. sheesh this is a clay peoples convention.. ;)
We hung out at the dance for one set.. then Cathy P. drove me and Jane home.. I decided I was too scared to walk home at nite again.. Last nite I was "cruised" on the way home by a nice darkly tinted SUV. You'ld of thought I had wings on those tennies as fast as I walked when I realized what was up. I could see the blue sign with the clover (our hotel) about 2 blocks away.. but it looked miles and miles away..
When I go to Philly next year I will stay on-site.
I have to sleep.. goal tomorrow morning is getting to the Emerging artists around 9... prolly closer to 10... then a member mtg.. then closing ceremonies... then I want to go to the pipe factory after that and before I come home.. we shall see if any of this at all happens.. ;)
I think that Jane is going home in the morning.. and I will probably find Nancy, Ron and Cathy, Karen.. and whoever else is still here...
We had quite the showing of people connected to NWAC.. I dare not start a list tonite.. I will surely forget someone. I am overwhelmed and oh so tired... but this has been such an enlightening NCECA, as all are in some way, shape or form.








No comments:

Post a Comment