Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesday NITE


First I will start with the yucky stuff... I went to Circle K... same one I went to last nite... as I walk in and view the crowd(10 people) I realize I have my name tag on... this is the Circle K with a resident policeman. I rip off the name tag. Mind you.. my hair is EXTRA blonde right now having had it done on Monday...and I am not someone who melts into the shadows... a scary guy(transient) approaches me and I immediatley look down. I hear a little scuffle, but proceed to the beer dept. I get in line behind a bunch of 20 year olds... they are all getting carded.. once I get to the counter I figure I am up for the id check.. HAH! no, he skips that.. but as I walk out... there on the sidewalk sits the results of the scuffle.. a man in handcuffs... arrrggg... this is scary... I guess it is good he is in handcuffs if he needs to be. I jump in the short bus, and immediately lock my doors.. I have noticed that I have done this frequently in my travels tonite, there are alot of people around here that look very down on their luck and me driving a new-ish car makes me look up on my luck...


So, now, on to the good stuff... I ran late to the lecture on the Song Dynasty, but arrived just in time to hear the lecturer talk about reduction firing in the 7th to 15th century. He uses a cool analogy about how CO2 pulls oxygen out of the air and even takes it out of the lungs of the human being when it is high and applies this to the process of reduction in the kiln and how the chemical process pulls the oxygen out of the pots. Very cool to me. This man, (Robert Mowry on Connoisseurship of Song Ceramics) is very distinguished and EXTREMELY knowledgable on his subject... amazing to listen to someone who really knows what he is talking about.. such a pleasure to be exposed to someone who actually works his braincells...


Following the lecture and prior to the next lecture I take a look around the PHX Art Museum... what a great place.. check it out next time you are in Phx. There is an installation by Ah Leon.. picture above... the pieces are all school house chairs and desks, life size... look like wood and made out of clay. Ah Leon will have a reception and tea ceremony at the Phx Museum on Friday evening.. I hope to go.
Next lecture was Terese Bartholomew on Hidden Meanings in Chinese Art. I really enjoyed this lecture. I will look at Chinese art very differently now. It seems that there are a multitude of symbols in chinese art to be deciphered. If you are given a gift, this gift will have the symbols in it that are important to the occasion.
After the lecture I used my handy dandy GPS on my phone to find Marjons. They have a great show, AMOCA. OMG the pieces are great... Tomorrow nite they have another reception, if you have a chance ... GO! Tomorrow I will try to load up some of the pics I took with my cell phone... It is too hard and now too late to do it... SEe Ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment